How to Prevent and Treat Gum Disease
Nearly half the Indian population suffers from gum disease of one or other kind. Gum diseases in ignored or left untreated can lead to serious conditions such as tooth loss, bone loss, diabetes and in sever case it can also lead to heart disease or stroke. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a chronic infection and inflammation of the gums and the supporting tissues of the teeth. It is caused by plaque, a sticky film of bacteria that forms on the teeth and gums.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
The best way to prevent gum disease is to maintain good oral hygiene. This can be done by the following:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Flossing daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth
- Rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash to kill germs
- Avoid smoking and tobacco intake in any form
- Limit the intake of sugary food and drinks
- Visit your dentist: Another important step to prevent gum disease is to visit your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
How to Recognize the Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease
Gum disease can be silent and painless in its early stages, so you may not notice any symptoms until it becomes more advanced. However, there are some common signs and symptoms of gum disease that you should be aware of, such as:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Bleeding gums when you brush or floss
- Bad breath that does not go away
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Receding gums that make your teeth look longer
- Pain or sensitivity when chewing
- Pus or sores in your mouth
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, you should see your dentist as soon as possible for a diagnosis and treatment.
If you have any questions or concerns about gum disease or your oral health in general, do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you achieve and maintain a healthy and beautiful smile.